Immigration Matters

Student Pass Application FAQ

I have a valid Dependent’s Pass/Long Term Social Visit Pass. Do I still have to apply for a Student Pass?

Yes, the Immigration and Checkpoints Authority of Singapore (ICA) still requires you to apply for a Student Pass.

How long does it take to get a Student Pass?

It depends on a number of factors, such as how promptly you submit your details online upon receiving your SOLAR+ Application Number, and whether you present all the required documents to ICA on time. On average, it takes two months to get a Student Pass. This is why you should submit your online application as early as possible.

I received a conditional offer from LASALLE. But I will only be able to meet those conditions in June or July. Should I apply for my Student Pass now or should I wait until I have met those conditions?

You should apply for your Student Pass as soon as you are certain that you are accepting the offer, and have received your SOLAR+ Application Number. It may be too late if you wait till the conditions are met. If it turns out that you are unable to meet the conditions of your offer, simply inform the Division of Admissions (DA), and we will help you withdraw your Student Pass application.

If my application for a Student Pass is approved, how and when can I collect my Student Pass?

Please check your application status online at the SOLAR+ website. Regardless of when your application is approved, you can only collect your Student Pass no earlier than one month from the course commencement date. If the application status is ‘IPA’, The Admissions Executive will email a copy of the In-Principle Approval (IPA) letter to you or Agent (if any). You are required to collect your Student Pass in person at the Visitor Services Centre, ICA, with the required documents as stated in the IPA letter. Your Student Pass will be issued if the conditions (if any) as stipulated in the IPA letter are fulfilled.

I don’t have a passport that is valid for at least half a year. How can I apply for a Student Pass?

Apply for a new passport immediately. You cannot apply for a Student Pass unless you have a passport that is valid for at least half a year. To make things easier for yourself, get a passport that will be valid for the duration of your studies at the Institution.

What should I do if my application for a Student’s Pass via SOLAR+ is rejected?

Please contact the Division of Admissions immediately. We will explore the possible reasons with you and, if possible, lodge an appeal on your behalf.

What should I do if I still have a valid Student Pass from my previous school?

If you are no longer studying at that school, you are not allowed to hold onto the Student Pass. Immediately surrender it to ICA for cancellation. You will be issued a Social Visit Pass instead. If you wish to apply to LASALLE within six months after returning it, you need to reapply for a Student Pass via SOLAR+ as a ‘Transfer of School’ application. Please inform the DA of your situation at least three months before your course starts.

I have applied for a Student Pass with LASALLE via the SOLAR+ system. Can I continue to stay in Singapore if the Student Pass from my previous school has expired?

You may, as long as your stay in Singapore is valid and legal. To play it safe, you are advised to submit your application for a Student Pass via the SOLAR+ system early. If your Student Pass with your previous school has expired, please approach LASALLE’s Division of Admissions. We will provide you with a letter of explanation. Present this letter when you surrender your current Student Pass at ICA. The officers at ICA will then issue you with a social visit pass. The duration of this pass is subject to the ICA officer’s discretion.