The MA Arts and Ecology is a new innovative studio-based postgraduate programme for creative practitioners and ecologists who seek to explore the critical discourses on our environment through contemporary art and creative practices.
This unique programme positions art and creative practices and research within the real-world situation and fosters collaborative and field-based research and art-making. The programme aims to develop students’ critical inquiry in unpacking the social, political and economic complexity of ecology discourses through a multitude of interdisciplinary studio practices.
Taking its first intake in August 2024, the MA in Arts and Ecology is the first MA programme in Singapore that supports the development of art practices grounded in rigorous environmental research and dedicated to foster a sustainable future.
We are seeking to appoint a dynamic Programme Leader to direct and teach in this exciting new programme.
The successful candidate will be an experienced and experimental practice-based and research-led educator with an established record of art-laced academic or scholarly artistic output atop a robust record of engagement in ecological activities in institutional and communal settings.
The programme resides in the McNally School of Fine Arts of the Faculty of Fine Arts, Media & Creative Industries. Reporting to the Head of School, your key responsibilities
will include the organisation, planning and delivery of the programme. As a programme
leader, you will create a stimulating environment for students from a variety of disciplines and backgrounds, as well as set the strategic direction of the programme to ensure it meets the high standards of the postgraduate programmes at LASALLE.
As a faculty member, you are expected to contribute to the research culture of the College through scholarly work and/or practice-led research. Your key operational responsibilities include overseeing the curriculum and its development, planning and coordination of classes and managing students’ creative output, ensuring high levels of quality assurance to meet the academic standards of the College and managing the programme efficiently within the allotted resources and budget, which includes selection and management of part-time staff and a range of visiting artists, and building of good working relationships with internship providers, industry and relevant stakeholders.
This programme is a rare opportunity for the successful candidate to demonstrate entrepreneurial thinking and establish a clear vision to build a new programme and make a significant contribution to the cultural and creative industries sector.
- PhD in a relevant field.
- At least 10 years of related professional practice and teaching experience at the tertiary level and at least four years of experience in programme management.
- Good knowledge and experience of the academic framework of higher education.
- Experience in supervising MA-level theses and ability to engage students through a range of delivery modes.
- Ability to mentor, develop and supervise teaching staff.
- A strong belief in the importance of collegiality and demonstrable ability to work well as a member of a team and collaborate at all levels.
- Ability to work within a multicultural context and in diverse/interdisciplinary settings.
- Strong organisational, analytical, communication, and interpersonal skills.
- A positive attitude to research and preferably a strong research profile.
- A publication record equivalent to experience.
Interested applicants are invited to apply directly at the LASALLE careers portal. Closing date is 30 November 2023 or until the position is filled. We regret that only shortlisted candidates will be notified.