Nur Hidayah Bte Abu Bakar
Nur Hidayah Bte Abu Bakar
Dean, Faculty of Design
- MA (Design for Communication), University of Central England, UK
- BA (Design), Curtin University of Technology, Australia
- Diploma (Graphic Design), Nanyang Academy of Fine Arts, Singapore
Nur Hidayah is a design-educator engaged in furthering design thinking and education in Singapore and Southeast Asia. Her expertise lies in design curriculum branding and identity, design for communication strategies and advertising communication.
Prior to joining LASALLE, Nur Hidayah worked in a full portfolio of design communication systems ranging from copywriting, design and art direction projects across major industry segments. This coupled with her extensive teaching experience of more than 15 years, Nur Hidayah has been instrumental to the transformation of the Faculty of Design into a leading faculty for Southeast Asia.
A deep believer of the interconnectedness of design aesthetics, education and industry, Nur Hidayah has initiated several collaborative partnerships with various design institutions. She presented a research paper at the Ubuntu International Design Symposium 2011 in Seoul, which covered The Role of Design Education. With faculty staff members, she is currently developing design capability programmes with communities in Asia and investigating issues around social enterprise for a more inclusive design culture. She has led the research and study of design cultures in contemporary Asian cities between Singapore, Seoul and Shanghai and undertaken the Global Design Initiative involving five international universities looking at design as a research tool.
Over the years, her excellent interpersonal and management skills have enabled her to inspire many students. Her vision and foresight has helped nurture these students into leaders that have contributed to Singapore’s creative landscape. Under her leadership, the design programmes have achieved great success at regional and international design competitions and showcases, including D&AD Student Awards, The Crowbar Awards, Furniture Design Awards and Graduate Fashion Week in London.
Today, Nur Hidayah continues to serve as an expert on various boards in Singapore. Her current appointments include the National Gallery Singapore, Singapore Note and Coin Advisory Committee (Monetary Authority of Singapore), and member of the Design Education Review Committee Workgroup, DesignSingapore Council (Ministry of Communications and Information). Her past appointments include the Malay Heritage Foundation (National Heritage Board, 2011), Malay Heritage Centre (National Heritage Board, 2012) and advisory member for MDA's Malay Programmes Advisory Committee (InfoCommMedia Development Authority of Singapore (2016–2018).
- Collective Individualism in Design Education, Cumulus Conférence des Écoles Supérieures d’Arts Appliqués de Paris, CÉSAAP; Paris, France (2018).
- The Education Flåneur – A Global Studio, 2 Cities, 5 Years, 200 Students and Communities of Practice, Cumulus O-pen Design for E-verything 2016; Hong Kong Design Institute, Hong Kong (2016).
Research and Practice
- Collective Individualism in Design Education, Cumulus Conférence des Écoles Supérieures d’Arts Appliqués de Paris (CÉSAAP); Paris, France (2018).
- The Education Flåneur – A Global Studio, 2 Cities, 5 Years, 200 Students and Communities of Practice, Peer-Reviewed Paper and Conference Workshop, Cumulus O-pen Design for E-verything, Hong Kong Design Institute; Hong Kong (2016).
- Interdisciplinarity within Design Practice – Projects, Methodologies, Manifestations and New Narratives, Conference Paper presentation at the Interdisciplinary Art Conference for New Value Creativity, Sungkyunkwan University, Deptartment of Interdisciplinary Programme in Studies of Arts; South Korea (2015).
- Design Thinking and Creative Practice: A Research-Approached Case Study, Institutional Representation at the 26th International Costume Congress, Gakushuin Women’s College; Tokyo, Japan (2014).
- Big Picture, Finer Details, Education by Design, Design for Education “Image, Imagination, Emotion: New Vision of Design Through Liberal Arts, International Design Symposium; Ubuntu (2011).
- Collections, Fashion Curating, and the Rise of Fashion Exhibitions in Museums, The International Symposium Innovation & Creativity in Asian Fashion Industry 2010 (2010–2011).
- The Role of Design Education, Ubuntu International Design Symposium Seoul; South Korea (2011).
Selected Group Exhibitions
- Edible Souvenirs, A commemoration to Singapore Food Design, Design Festa Gallery; Tokyo (October 2018).
- Work<spaces> Division of Design Staff Exhibition, Earl Lu Gallery, LASALLE-SIA College of the Arts; Singapore (August 2003).
- Masters of Arts (Design For Communication) Exhibition, Earl Lu Gallery II, LASALLE-SIA College of the Arts; Singapore (August 2002).
- External Examiner, BA Graphic Design, University of Hertfordshire, UK at the The One Academy, Malaysia
- Industry judge, Stamp Out Corruption with Corruption Practices Investigation Bureau 2013; Singapore (2013).
- Represented LASALLE at Academic Forum for Neighbour 2010 with Dasein Academy and King Mongkut University of Technology; Thonburi, Thailand (2010).
- Industry judge, International Furniture Fair Singapore – Best Exhibit Award; Singapore (2010).
- Industry judge, Narnia Competition for Buena Vista International (2006, 2008).
- Industry judge, World Skills Competition (Finals) for Graphic Design Technology (2008).
- Industry judge, Crocs Shoe Design Competition (2008).
- Industry judge, Crocs Design Shoe Competition (2005).
- ReDesign Education: GloW Design Festival; Edinburgh, Scotland (2017).
- D&AD New Blood Exhibition, Institutional Representation; London, UK (2014)
- D&AD New Blood Exhibition, Institutional Representation; London, UK (2009)
- D&AD New Blood Exhibition, Institutional Representation; London, UK (2008)
- Design Research Methods Workshop, Melbourne Design Festival; Melbourne, Australia (2006).
- Information Literacy workshop – Library Learning (2004).
- Workshop, A Study on Semantic Mapping and Idea Generation Exercise – Using Semiotic Analysis to Designing Information Graphics (2003).
Current Practice and Research
- Participated in 48hr Inclusive Design Challenge in Seoul as part of the Seoul Design Festival 2009, organised by City of Seoul and Helen Hamlyn Research Centre, Royal College of Art; United Kingdom.
- Group leader for volunteering programme with Singapore International Foundation (2011–2013). Developed a design capability project with the Modern Sewing Dress Factory, a community of underprivileged women infected with HIV; Phnom Penh, Cambodia.
- Project managed the inaugural launch of the Asian Fashion Graduate Showcase 2013 with representation from South Korea, China and Philippines.
- Design education.
- Visual learning methods.
- Design research.
- Contemporary cities.