Design is a key cultural and social engine to propel the future of economies and engage with emerging communities in societies. The Faculty of Design at LASALLE, a leader in design education in Southeast Asia, propositions a curriculum focused on the needs of tomorrow. The Faculty trains highly skilled (digital, aesthetic, technical) graduates as creative disruptors, out-of-the-box thinking practitioners and enterprising designers for a new world.
The School of Design Communication which resides within the Faculty of Design seeks to appoint a Lecturer for the Design Communication programmes. Reporting to the Head of School of Design Communication and Programme Leader, you will teach the diploma and degree programmes with a broad focus on the various disciplines within Design Communication.
The ideal candidate should have the expertise and be able to teach in one or many of the following disciplines: human interface, UI/UX and experience design; critical graphic design and experimental visual communication practices; generative design, processing, creative coding; visual identity and branding; contextual and cultural studies.
As Lecturer, your key responsibilities include academic preparation, teaching and delivery of specialised knowledge/skills and cognitive-based contents to ensure students’ learning objectives are met. You will work collaboratively with teams within/across programmes and Faculty to enhance the strategic and organisational plans and ensure that the programme achieves its strategic ambitions and objectives.
Other responsibilities include coordination of academic learning activities, academic administration and organisation, feedback on assignments, conducting assessments and marking, student mentoring and recruitment. You will also contribute to the academic development of the programme, and work as a team and be involved in specific programme activities/projects/exhibitions and other cross-faculty initiatives.
- Postgraduate qualification, preferably at PhD level, or equivalent in a relevant discipline.
- At least five years of tertiary-level teaching experience with knowledge of Higher Education Quality Assurance Framework and at least three years of full-time of relevant professional practice.
- For Senior Lecturer, at least 9 years and above or the equivalent of postgraduate teaching experience in practice-based arts at tertiary level and 6 years of proven track record of professional experience in related design fields or and/or tertiary design education with a PhD qualification.
- Substantive professional practice in the areas of communication design, design for interaction, brand communication, service design, experience design and/or related fields of design.
- Substantive knowledge of design history and theory, cultural and contextual studies and adequate involvement in relevant design practice and/or have established research projects and publications.
- A passion for teaching with ability to nurture and encourage excellence in teaching and student learning.
- Possess excellent communication, organisational and team working skills and academic administration skills.
- A positive attitude to research, and preferably a personal research profile.
Interested applicants are invited to apply directly at the LASALLE careers portal. Closing date is 31 October 2023 or until the position is filled. We regret that only shortlisted candidates will be notified.