Lecturer (School of Dance & Theatre)
The School of Dance & Theatre resides in the Faculty of Performing Arts and, is Singapore and is Southeast Asia’s leading contemporary dance and theatre school dedicated to developing thoughtful, reflective and virtuosic talents. The School offers diploma programmes in Dance, Performance, Theatre and Production Management and BA(Hons) programmes in Acting and Musical Theatre. The School is known for its collaborative and interdisciplinary approach and there is a growing research culture, particularly in the area of practice research with outcomes that are both published and performed. The School is seeking to appoint a dynamic and energetic full-time lecturer to teach and coordinate dance and theatre contextual studies at diploma and BA(Hons) levels and mentor staff.
Reporting to the Head of School, the successful candidate will coordinate and oversee the content and delivery of contextual studies across the School’s programmes, support students and lead staff in the coordination of BA (Hons) thesis preparation. Key responsibilities include academic preparation, teaching and delivery, and working collaboratively with other faculty staff to enhance School plans. Administrative tasks include coordination of School events with faculty staff, curriculum and repertoire review, timetabling, resource development and management. The successful
candidate will also implement research/professional practices to share and extend knowledge for the benefit of the programme and the students.
The ideal candidate, besides a strong background in performance studies, would have a strong performance practice in one of the specialisms offered by the School but more critically, the ability to connect contextual studies with practice. The School welcomes applicants with an interest in nurturing emerging artists to find their own performance style and voice. We particularly encourage applications from individuals with a developing or established professional and/or research profile.
- Ph.D. in theatre and/or dance related fields. Applicants who are completing their Ph.D. studies may apply.
- Preferably five years of full-time tertiary-level teaching experience and at least five years of relevant professional experience or industry experience.
- Applicants with strong experience in practice may apply and will be required to teach a class.
- Good working knowledge of performance education at tertiary level including curriculum development, design, teaching, learning methodologies, and assessment of learning outcomes.
- Passion for teaching with the ability to nurture and encourage excellence in student learning.
- Excellent communication, organisational and teamwork skills as well as academic administration skills.
- Research active with a practice-related personal research profile.
Interested applicants are invited to apply directly at the LASALLE careers portal. Closing date is 15 May 2023 or until the position is filled. We regret that only shortlisted candidates will be notified.