The Faculty of Performing Arts seeks to appoint a full-time Lecturer in Musical Theatre for the BA(Hons) Musical Theatre programme that resides in the School of Dance & Theatre. Reporting to the Head of School and Programme Leader, you will teach musical theatre repertoire and either music or singing classes to students, as well as provide musical direction, musical arrangement and accompaniment for some student performances and classes, where appropriate.
It is essential that candidates can play the piano, sight-read proficiently and have extensive knowledge of musical theatre repertoire, so that they are capable of teaching song interpretation. The ideal candidate will also have the capacity to teach musical theatre and film history, and will have professional experience as a musical director.
As a Lecturer at LASALLE, your key responsibilities include academic preparation; teaching and delivery of specialised knowledge/skills and cognitive based content to ensure the students' learning objectives are met. You will work collaboratively with the teams within/across programmes and Faculty in enhancing the strategic and organisational plans and ensuring that the programme achieves its strategic ambitions and objectives.
Other responsibilities include coordination of academic learning activities, academic administration and organisation, feedback on assignments, conducting assessments and marking, student mentoring and recruitment. You will also contribute to the academic development of the programme and work as a team and be involved in specific programme activities/projects/performances and other cross faculty initiatives. In particular, you will support the Programme Leader to deliver student learning outcomes through high-quality musical productions. You will also implement research/professional practices to extend knowledge of an appropriate subject area for the benefit of the programme and the students. We particularly encourage applications from individuals with a developing or established professional and/or research profile.
- Postgraduate qualification, preferably at PhD level, or equivalent with substantial professional experience as a musical director and/or musical singer
- At least 5 years of tertiary-level teaching experience with knowledge of Higher Education Quality Assurance Framework and ability to teach within a multicultural context, and an awareness of the performing arts industry in Singapore, and
- At least 3 years of full-time relevant professional experience/practice with strong specialist knowledge of musical theatre
- A passion for teaching with ability to nurture and encourage excellence in student learning
- Possess excellent communication, organisational and team working skills and academic administration skills
- A positive attitude to research, and preferably a personal research profile
LASALLE College of the Arts is at the leading edge of contemporary arts education in Asia and works in close partnership with GOLDSMITHS, University of London, which validates its degree programmes and collaborates on teaching exchanges and research initiatives. It has set an agenda for excellence to bring the College to the forefront of international arts pedagogy, practice and research.
Please submit your letter of interest, curriculum vitae indicating current and expected salary, and indicating clearly the position you are applying, by e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org before closing date 30 Nov 2018 or in writing (stating clearly the position applied on the envelope) to:
Director – Division of Human Resources
LASALLE College of the Arts
1 McNally Street, Singapore 187940
We regret that only shortlisted candidates will be notified.