Design is the cultural and social engine to propel economic growth from the present to the future. LASALLE's Faculty of Design propositions our curriculum to focus on the needs of tomorrow. Designers are the provocateurs, disruptors, strategists, authors, critics, editors and thinkers for open-ended challenges.
We are seeking highly influential, aspiring and dynamic candidates to lead and inspire the next generation of young designers and innovate the future of design education in the fields of creative sustainability, social innovation, creative and cultural enterprises and future identities.
The School of Design Communication, residing in the Faculty of Design, offers programmes ranging from Diploma to BA(Hons) and MA in Design.
The primary responsibility of the Head of School is to assist the Dean to provide leadership to the School of Design Communication, lead the BA(Hons) Design Communication programme, as well as develop the vision and proactively raise the profile of the School in line with the overall strategic direction of the Faculty and College. The Head of School is expected to work closely with the Dean to develop strategic engagement with the design sector and enhance external academic and industry partnerships and projects both locally and globally.
The key functions of the Head of School will, in consultation with the Dean, develop and drive agreed strategies for the School, implement its operational plans within an approved budget, oversee the staff team and contribute to the planning, design and delivery of the curriculum. You will play a key academic leadership and administrative role in the operation of the Faculty.
The Head of School is expected to be an active practitioner and scholar in a specialist field to lead and participate in research within the School in line with ambitions of the Faculty and College's research strategy. You will also provide/contribute to teaching and learning, undertake research in the subject specialism, manage resources allocated to the School efficiently, and establish a local and international professional network in order to raise awareness of the School and the College.
As Programme Leader of the BA(Hons) Design Communication, key responsibilities include oversight of the curriculum and its development, planning and co-ordination of classes and managing student research/projects. You will ensure high levels of quality assurance to meet the academic standards of the validating partner and the College. In addition to the academic administration load, the Programme Leader will also be responsible for the teaching and development of various modules. You will manage the programme efficiently within allotted resources and budget, which includes selection and management of a large number of part-time staff. You will be a team player providing a strong and active commitment to staff research.
In addition to academic and programme administration, the Programme Leader is expected to undertake teaching of the programme(s) in the School and/or Faculty.
- Postgraduate qualification, preferably at PhD level, or equivalent in a relevant discipline with substantial professional experience.
- At least 13 years of tertiary level teaching experience with knowledge of Higher Education Quality Assurance Framework.
- At least 8 years or the equivalent in course/programme management and the supervision and development of teaching staff.
- Evidence of commitment to/track record of research and/or professional practice.
- Substantial specialist and practical knowledge of an appropriate range of programmes and subjects in design.
- Knowledge of contextualising academic programme content and curriculum development to fulfil requirements of validation and accreditation and programme enhancement.
- Outstanding analytical and communication skills.
- Effective people management and supervisory skills.
- Ability to work well as a member of a team and collaborate with colleagues at all levels.
- Proven ability in managing curriculum planning, programme budget and programme delivery.
- Experience in developing collaborative and interdisciplinary projects, and developing strong networks with external academic partners, community and industry.
- Strong student pastoral care skills.
- A positive attitude to research preferably with a personal research profile and able to mentor emerging researchers.
Please submit your CV including current and expected salary plus a recent photo of yourself and send it via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or in writing (please state the position you are applying for on the envelope):
Director – Division of Human Resources
LASALLE College of the Arts
1 McNally Street
Closing date: 15 October 2020
We regret that only shortlisted candidates will be notified.