MA Creative Writing
Delight in the revelatory power of an unforgettable phrase, the delicious slipperiness of language, the myriad satisfactions of story, and the adaptability of narratives that migrate from page to stage and screens, large or small. As a postgraduate student of Creative Writing at LASALLE, you will study alongside a rich community of visual artists, filmmakers, designers, dancers, photographers, actors and other arts professionals in a Programme validated by celebrated arts university, Goldsmiths, University of London. Elsewhere, Creative Writing students and faculty are isolated from other campus artist-researchers or overshadowed by science and business programmes. At LASALLE’s vibrant, downtown campus our MA Creative Writing students work in a creative milieu devoted exclusively to artists and art professionals.
The MA Creative Writing Programme, offered both in full-time (one-and-a-half year, over three semesters) and part-time (three years, over six semesters) mode, is devoted to writing, editing and publishing which also provides students a critical, theoretical and historical framework for the analysis of literature, art, communication and arts pedagogy. Intensive graduate writing workshops deepen a student writer’s creative practice to help you write more publishable fiction, creative non-fiction, poetry and/or drama (for stage and/or screen). The Programme concludes with students embarking on a full-length creative writing thesis in the genre of your choice.
Each mode of your learning improves writing, reading, and editing abilities while also providing meta-lessons in perception, creative problem solving, social-emotional intelligence, communicative precision, interpersonal diplomacy, community, empathy, and, yes, human nature. Timeless philosophical questions about identity, knowledge, individuality, work, community, family, nationality, love, ethics, and meaning arise and evolve through sustained, informed and self-aware writing in addition to consultations with our published writing faculty, workshop peers, guest writers and industry professionals. LASALLE offers all its students a steady parade of visiting artists and art professionals devoted to aesthetic perfection, informed creativity, and passionate enquiry.
We prepare the writers, editors, publishers, cultural curators and writing teachers of tomorrow within and beyond dynamic, energetic Singapore. With its international partnership with Goldsmiths, its rich history of arts education, and exciting new MA Programmes in Arts Pedagogy and Practice, Art Therapy, Asian Art Histories, and Arts Management, LASALLE is proud to provide the first taught MA Creative Writing in Singapore while also aligning Singapore and Southeast Asia to the world’s exponentially growing market for literary production, publishing and pedagogy.
Why Study MA Creative Writing at LASALLE?
- Singapore’s and Southeast Asia’s first taught MA Creative Writing Programme
- Developed by LASALLE and validated by Goldsmiths, University of London, world-renowned for its creative and innovative approach to research and teaching in the arts
- Offers both full-time and part-time modes to accommodate working professionals’ schedules
- Creative Writing is one of the most vibrant growth areas in the Arts and Humanities
- Be one of several artists at an Institution that specialises in the arts
- Architecturally renowned downtown campus near three different MRT lines and in the heart of the arts and heritage district
- Internal and external scholarships available
- Deepen your creative practice in genres such as Fiction, Non-fiction, Poetry and Drama/Screenwriting through intensive graduate writing workshops
- Specialise in the genre of your choice with the Final Creative Project